Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
✓personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (CFIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Mechanics Bank obtains the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Website.
- From third parties. For example, credit reports from credit reporting agencies.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- Purpose for Providing: To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a rate quote, ask a question about our products or services, or apply for one of our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry or your application. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service or obtain an account with us, we will use that information to process your request. We may also use your information to facilitate servicing your account with us and we may share your information with a third party service provider to assist us in servicing your account.
- Fraud & Security Purposes: To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us and to process your requests, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud. To also help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- Service & Support: To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements: To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations or other legal process.
- Website: To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services and your Website experience, including the delivery of content, product and service offerings and targeted offers via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law). For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- Contractual Purposes: To engage in or maintain a contractual relationship with you.
- Employment Related Purposes: To engage in or maintain an employment relationship with you or for any other employment related permissible purposes, including administration of benefits and recruiting efforts.
- Marketing Purposes: To assist us in providing you with information about the products and services we offer. We do not share your information with outside companies for their marketing purposes.
- Due Diligence Purposes: To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Mechanics Bank’s assets, or some or all of another’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Mechanics Bank or the personal information held by another, about Website users, customers, applicants, employees, vendors and any other individual covered by the CCPA, is among the assets transferred or reviewed.
Mechanics Bank will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice, where required by law.
Sharing Personal Information
Mechanics Bank may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Mechanics Bank has disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Category D: Commercial information.
Category E: Biometric information.
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
Category G: Geolocation data.
Category H: Sensory data.
Category I: Professional or employment-related information.
Category J: Non-public education information.
Category K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers: For example, to assist us in providing our products and services to you.
- Other third parties: For example, to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, for due diligence purposes, employment related purposes, or when you request or authorize us to.
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Mechanics Bank has not engaged in the sale of personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that Mechanics Bank disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you (subject to applicable exemptions and exceptions):
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- The categories of personal information we disclosed for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that Mechanics Bank delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exemptions and exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exemption or exception applies. For example, we will not request deletion from a third party when the sharing was at your request or provided to comply with a subpoena or other legal process.
We may deny your deletion request, in which case we will not direct our service providers to delete, if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please download, complete and submit a verifiable consumer request to us by any of the following methods:
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time, up to 90 days, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Mechanics Bank reserves the right to amend this PRIVACY NOTICE for California Residents at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Notice, we will post the updated Notice on the Website and update the Notice’s effective date. Your continued use of our Website following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, the ways in which Mechanics Bank collects and uses your information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Phone: 844.991.CCPA (2272)
Attn: CCPA Requests
PO Box 6010
Santa Maria, CA 93456-6010