Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that Mechanics Bank disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you (subject to applicable exemptions and exceptions):
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclose that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- The categories of personal information we disclosed for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Please note that we are not required to retain any personal information about you that was collected for a single, one-time transaction if, in the ordinary course, that information about you is not retained; reidentify or otherwise link any data that, in the ordinary course, is not maintained in a manner that would be considered personal information; or provide the personal information to you more than twice in a twelve (12) month period.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that Mechanics Bank delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exemptions and exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exemption or exception applies. For example, we will not request deletion from a third party when the sharing was at your request or provided to comply with a subpoena or other legal process.
We may deny your deletion request, in which case we will not direct our service providers to delete, if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Correction Request Rights
You have the right to request that Mechanics Bank correct inaccurate personal information, taking into account the nature and purposes of the personal information.
We will ask you to provide documentation that verifies your contested information and, in determining its accuracy, we will consider the totality of the circumstances related to the contested information, as allowed under the CCPA. We may deny your request if, under the totality of the circumstances, we determine it is more likely than not the information we have on file is accurate, or if we suspect your request is fraudulent or abusive. We may also deny your request if we have denied your request to correct the same inaccuracy within the past six (6) months of receiving your request, unless you have provided new or additional documentation to support your claim of inaccuracy.
If your request is accepted, we will make the necessary corrections in our respective systems and we will share your request with our service providers so they can make necessary corrections in their respective systems. We reserve the right to delete contested information as an alternative to correcting if the deletion does not negatively impact you.
How to Exercise Your Rights
Please note that you may only make a data access or data portability disclosure request twice within a 12-month period.
Verifying Your Identity
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf (e.g., a person who has a legal power of attorney, a conservator, etc.), may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
Your verifiable consumer request must provide us with:
- Enough information to identify you (e.g., your full name, address, customer number, etc., as applicable).
- Proof of your identity and address (e.g., a copy of your driver's license, state identification card, or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill); and
- A description of your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it, including a description of which rights you want to exercise.
We are not obligated to make a data access or data portability disclosures if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request. Requests to correct personal information may require submission of additional documentation.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time, up to 90 days, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.